Did someone ask you to list foods that begin with the letter H? In this article, we have compiled a list of Foods Beginning With H.
Also, we have categorized this list into regional cuisines and included descriptions, so they are easily identified.
Table of Contents
Popular Foods Beginning With H
In this list, we have listed many popular foods all starting with H. We have included descriptions for some of them where necessary. Here are some popular foods starting with H:
- Haddock: A silvery-grey bottom-dwelling fish that could be eaten cooked or fried.
- Hake: A large edible sea fish.
- Halibut: A flatfish often used in cooking.
- Halloumi cheese: Semi-hard, unripened, brined cheese from mixing cow and sheep milk.
- Happy meals: A kids’ meal sold at McDonald’s.
- Haricot beans
- Hash: A culinary dish consisting of chopped up meat, potatoes, and onions fried together.
- Ham sandwich
- Hero Sandwich: A sub sandwich filled with different meats, cheese, vegetables, and other condiments.
- Horlicks: A sweet malted milk hot drink powder.
- Hors d’oeuvre: A small savory dish, typically one served as an appetizer.
- Horseradish: A cabbage plant grown for its edible pungent root.
- Hot chocolate
- Hot dog
- Hot pockets: An American brand of microwaveable turnovers of cheese, meat, and vegetables.
Fruits Beginning With H
There are a few fruits spelled with H as their first letter, and we have listed some of them. Here are some fruits starting with H:
African Foods Beginning With H
States in the African continent all have their traditional foods, and many of them are spelled with H. This list contains some African foods starting with H and their descriptions:
- Harira: A traditional Algerian and Moroccan soup of Maghreb.
- Hawawshi: A dish of minced meat spiced with onions, pepper, parsley placed between two circular layers of dough, then baked in the oven.
- Hertzoggie: Mini jam and coconut tarts, filled with apricot-jam.
- Himbasha: A sweet Ethiopian and Eritrean bread.
Caribbean Foods Beginning With H
The Caribbean Islands and its countries are well known for their spicy, flavorful meals. This list contains traditional Caribbean foods and desserts starting with H and their descriptions:
- Hardo bread: A hard dough bread.
- Hummingbird cake: A dessert that is typically made with flour, vegetable oil, bananas, pineapple, pecans, eggs, vanilla, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and leavening agents.
Continental Foods Beginning With H
Continental cuisines are native to countries in the European continent and referred to abroad as continental dishes. This list contains continental cuisines starting with H:
- Homity pie: A traditional British open vegetable pie with a filling of potatoes, onion, and leek mixture covered with cheese.
- Honey and whole-grain mustard chicken: Chicken marinated in honey and homemade mustard pasted baked until tender.
- Honey roast chicken: A juicy, flavorful chicken drizzled with honey white wine sauce
Mexican Foods Beginning With H
This list contains spicy, flavorful Mexican meals traditional to parts of Latin America and their descriptions. Here are some Mexican meals starting with H:
- Horchata: Flavored plant milk beverages
- Huachinango a la Veracruzana: A red snapper fish dish served with sauce.
- Huarache: A Mexican dish prepared with masa dough, smashed pinto beans with a variety of toppings including green or red salsa, onions, potato, cilantro, and protein.
- Huauzontles: A vegetable that is often boiled and used to season salads, ahuautles in pasilla sauce, and beef fillets.
- Huevos motulenos: A dish of eggs made with eggs on tortillas, black beans, and cheese.
- Huevos rancheros: A breakfast meal of eggs served in the style of the traditional large mid-morning fare.
- Huitlacoche: A filling in quesadillas and other tortilla-based foods, and soups.
Oriental Foods Beginning With H
Oriental foods referred to Asian meals traditional to the Asian continent and served in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean restaurants. Here are some oriental foods starting with H:
- Hainanese chicken rice: A dish of poached chicken and seasoned rice, served with chili sauce and cucumber garnishes.
- Halo-halo: A cold dessert that is a mixture of shaved ice, evaporated milk, and other ingredients.
- Hasma: A dish of poached chicken and seasoned rice, served with chili sauce and usually with cucumber garnishes.
- Hokkien mee: A dish of boiled fresh noodles made from wheat flour and egg.
- Hokey pokey: A ice cream flavor of plain vanilla ice cream with small, solid lumps of honeycomb toffee
- Hot and sour soup: A soup with ingredients to make it both spicy and sour.
- Huangqiao sesame cake: Sesame seed cake.
- Hulatang: A traditional Chinese beef soup made with capsicum and black pepper.
- Huptul woo: A sweet walnut soup.
Indian Foods Beginning With H
The different parts of India have different traditional meals. In this list, we have compiled different Indian foods starting with H and their descriptions:
- Handwo: A savory rice and lentil cake often served as breakfast or a snack.
- Halwasan: A square or round-shaped sweet dish of coarsely grounded wheat flour, milk, edible gum, sugar, curd, nutmeg and garnished with dry fruits.
- Haq Maas: Fish curry cooked with leafy green vegetables.
- Hari mutter ka nimona: Green pea curry.
- Horioh Mass: Golden Mustard Fish Curry.
Mediterranean Foods Beginning With H
The Mediterranean region refers to all areas surrounding the Mediterranean Sea. This region includes parts of North Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. We have compiled a list of traditional dishes starting with H from the Mediterranean region and their descriptions:
- Haleem: A stew made with wheat, barley, lentils, and lamb or other meat.
- Haneeth: A traditional meat dish from Yemen.
- Harissa: A meal of ground meat and couscous or bulgar wheat served with chili sauce and other spices.
- Hawaij: A variety of Yemeni ground spice mixtures used in soup making.
- Hilbeh: A dip made with fenugreek.
- Hininy: A Saudi Arabian dish made from date, brown bread, butter, Cardamom, and saffron.
All the foods and dishes on this list are spelled with H, and with the descriptions listed, so they are easily described. Leave a comment below to let us know other foods spelled with H we might have missed.