Many foods we consume are spelled with J as their first letter. We have compiled a list of foods beginning with J and categorized them according to their origins.
Table of Contents
Popular Foods Beginning With J
In this list we have compiled quite many popular foods starting with the letter J:
- Jaffa cake: A sponge biscuit with an orange-flavored jelly and chocolate topping.
- Jambon: Smoked meat cut from the thigh of a hog or pig.
- Java: A mixed beverage of ground coffee beans.
- Jelly doughnut
- Jelly roll: A thin sheet of sponge cake filled with jelly.
- Jerusalem Artichoke: A root vegetable native to parts of North America.
- Jewfish: A food fish of warm coastal waters.
- Jimmies: Bits of chocolate used as a topping on edibles.
- Johnnycake: Cornbread cooked on a griddle, pancake-style.
- Jordan almond: Almond covered with a flavored, colored sugar coat.
- Julienne: A vegetable used in cooking cut into thin strips.
- Jumbal: Flat, small ring-shaped cookie, or cake.
- Julep: A term used for sugar, bourbon, and mint over crushed ice.
Fruits Beginning With J
This list contains fruits, all spelled with the letter J as their first letter. Here are some fruits spelled with J as their first letter:
- Jabuticaba: A thick-skinned deep-purple fruit similar to a grape but larger.
- Jackfruit: A yellow fruit native to East India similar to breadfruit contains nutritious seeds and an edible pulp.
- Jambul: Also known as Indian blueberry grown in parts of India, Pakistan, and Indonesia.
- Japanese plum: Also known as Chinese plum, a yellow semi-tropical fruit used for jellies.
- Jonathan Apple: Red-late ripening apple primarily eaten raw.
- Jostaberry: A North American coastal black gooseberry.
- Jujube: Fruit of the Jujube shade tree.
- Juneberries: Edible red or purple berries.
- Juniper berry: A fruit often used as a spice.
African Foods Beginning With J
This is a list of notable dishes found in African cuisine starting with J, which is collectively referred to as the cuisine of Africa. Here are some African foods starting with the letter J and their descriptions:
- Jaffle: A South African toasted sandwich filled with meat, toasted in a jaffle iron over an open flame or in an electric toaster.
- Jollof rice: A West African meal of rice cooked with tomatoes, onions, cooking oil, and meat.
Caribbean Foods Beginning With J
Caribbean cuisine is a fusion of African, Creole, Cajun, and other parts of the Middle East. Here are some Caribbean foods staring with the letter J and their descriptions:
- Jambalaya: A spicy Creole dish of ham, rice, meat or seafood, sausage cooed with tomatoes, onions, peppers, and celery.
- Jamaican jerk: Meat, seafood, fruits, and vegetables cooked over a fire pit or on a grill.
- Jamaican mackerel rundown: A Jamaican dish of salted or pickled mackerel and a thick sauce made with coconut milk boiled with various seasonings until it becomes a custard.
- Jamaican patty: Pies filled with meat, often served as a dessert.
- Jamaican steamed fish: A dish of firm white fish cooked in a sauce of butter, tomatoes, onions, and herbs such as thyme and black pepper
- Joumou: A traditional Haitian pumpkin soup.
- Jugo de Avena: An oat-based drink made by soaking oats overnight in water and mixing with milk, sugar, and spices.
Continental Foods Beginning With J
Continental foods are delicacies consumed in European countries. This list contains some continental foods starting with the letter J and their descriptions:
- Jambalaya: A dish of rice mixes with meat such as sausage or chicken and vegetables.
- Jambon: A folded puff pastry filled with diced ham, egg, and cheese and eaten warm.
- Jambon persille: A dish of marbled ham with parsley.
- Jam roly-poly: A flat-rolled suet pudding spread with jam, rolled up and steamed or baked.
- Jellied eels: A traditional English dish of chopped eels boiled in spiced stock, which forms a jelly when cool.
- Jesuite: A triangular flakey French pastry filled with frangipane cream, topped with sliced almonds and powdered sugar.
- Jota: An Italian soup made with beans, potatoes, and sauerkraut.
Mexican Foods Beginning With J
In this list we have listed some spicy, traditional meals from parts of Latin America starting with J. Here are some Mexican foods starting with the letter J and descriptions:
- Jalapeno: A Mexican spicy pepper
- Jicama: The white-fleshed edible tuber of the yam bean used in Mexican cooking.
- Jocoque: A Mexican dish of fermented milk.
Oriental Foods Beginning With J
By oriental foods refers to Asian style foods that is foods prepared using recipes and styles used in East Asia. Here are some oriental foods starting with the letter J and their descriptions:
- Jian dui: A Chinese pastry made from glutinous rice flour coated with sesame seeds.
- Jiaozi: A dumpling.
- Jingbajian: A traditional Chinese cake made with dates, plums, raisins, banana, red bean, pepper, and salt.
- Jiuniang: A sweet pudding-like dish, also known as sweet rice wine.
- Jook: Chinese breakfast meal.
Indian Foods Beginning With J
Indian cuisines are a wide range of regional cuisine native to India. This list contains some Indian foods starting with the letter J and their descriptions:
- Jalebi: A North Indian dish of twisted noodles dipped in sugary syrup.
- Jal-jeera: A beverage of lemonade mixed with jaljira powder.
- Jamun: An Indian fruit with a similar size and shape commonly known as black plum.
- Jhal-muri: Puffed rice with spices, vegetables, and raw mustard oil.
- Jigarthanda: A drink of milk, almond gum, root syrup, sugar, and ice-cream.
Mediterranean Foods Beginning With J
Mediterranean foods are often healthy meals with a lot of vegetables and spices native to countries around the Mediterranean Sea. Here are some Mediterranean foods starting with the letter J and their descriptions:
- Jameed: A dish hard dry laban made from ewe or goat’s milk kept in a fine woven cheesecloth to make a thick yogurt.
This is a list of various foods that start with the letter J, comment below any other we have missed on our list, and we’ll be sure to add them.