There are many foods beginning with P. In this piece, we have sourced different foods, herbs and recipes all spelled with P from different regions of the world.
Table of Contents
Popular Foods Beginning With P
Have you wondered how many popular foods we consume are spelled with the letter P, then this list of popular foods starting with P is for you:
Fruits Beginning with P
Many fruits we consume are spelled with P, and we have listed some fruits starting with P:
- Pomelo: A pale green or yellow fruit when ripe with sweet white flesh.
- Purple mangosteen: A tropical fruit with a juicy acidic taste and hard purple shell.
African Foods Beginning with P
Different countries of the African continent all have their traditional meals. Some of these foods start with P and we have listed some of them:
- Pakora: A fried South African snack made by taking ingredients such as onion, eggplant, potato, spinach, planian, paneer, cauliflower, tomato, chili pepper, dipping them in a batter of gram flour and deep-frying them.
- Pam poenkoekies: Known as pumpkin fritters, pumpkin-based balls of dough mixed with baking flour and eggs, fried in a pan and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
- Pap: A traditional porridge of mielie-meal (ground maize) or other grain.
- Pap en vleis: A crumbly phutu pap and tomato-based meat sauce usually served with boerewors. Braised separately or cooked in the sauce.
- Pastilla: A Moroccan meat pie made of squab or filled with fish or offal.
- Phaletshe: A Botswana maize meal dish similar to a pap served with seswaa, beef stew, serobe or boiled free range chicken.
- Phutu: A traditional maize meal dish which is a crumbly or grainy type of pap or porridge over an open fire and stirred.
- Placali: Fermented cassava paste usually eaten with palm kernel sauce, okra or kpala.
- Pot brood: Bread traditionally baked in a cast-iron pot.
- Potjiekos: A South African stew prepared outdoors made with meat, vegetables like cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, potatoes, beer or dessert wine.
Caribbean Foods Beginning With P
Different countries in the Caribbean Islands and its surrounding coasts start with P. We have listed different Caribbean foods starting with P:
- Pelau: A savory Trini dish consisting of meat such as beef or chicken served with rice, vegetables, fresh herbs and coconut milk.
- Peppered shrimps: A Jamaican street food of shrimp cooked in a skillet with garlic, hot pepper, butter, and thyme.
- Picadillo: A spicy dish consisting of ground meat, tomatoes and onions, served with a side of rice or tortillas.
- Pica pollo: A Dominican fried-chicken dish eaten with fried plantains.
- Pikliz: A Haitian relish of pickled vegetables such as shredded cabbage, carrots, onions, shallots, and spicy peppers.
- Pizza Cuban: A slightly thicker pizza with a sweeter sauce from Cuba.
- Platillo Moros y Cristiano: A Cuban national dish of fluffy white rice, seasoned with black beans and cooked together.
- Poulet aux noix: A Haitian dish of well-spiced chicken, marinated, steamed and fried with diced tomatoes, tomato paste and onions with raw cashews.
- Pudding and souse: A traditional Barbadian dish served with pudding, steamed sweet potatoes, and souse.
Continental Foods Beginning With P
Continental foods hail from the European continent and other Western countries. Here are different continental foods all starting with P:
- Pandoro: A traditional Italian bread shaped like a frustum with an eight-pointed star section.
- Panforte: A traditional chewy Italian dessert containing fruits and nuts.
- Paprika: A pie made from grinding dried sweet red or green bell peppers.
- Pastier napoletana: A Neapolitan tart made with cooked wheat, eggs, ricotta cheese and flavored with orange flour water.
- Pastry: Pastry filled with meat and potatoes.
- Pease pudding: A pudding dish of boiled legumes, split yellow peas cooked with bacon or ham joint.
- Pie and mash: A dish of minced-beef and cold water pastry pie.
- Piperade: A dish prepared with onion, green peppers and tomatoes sautéed in olive oil and flavored with Espelette pepper.
- Pizelle: Traditional waffle cookie made from flour, eggs, sugar, butter or vegetable oil and flavoring such as anise, vanilla or lemon zest.
- Pork pie: A traditional English meat pie with a filling of roughly chopped pork and pork fat surrounded by a layer of jellied pork stock in a hot water crust pastry eaten as a snack or salad.
- Porridge: A breakfast cereal dish made by boiling ground, crushed or chopped starchy plants in water or milk.
- Potato bread: A bread prepared with potato flour or potato instead of wheat flour.
- Potted shrimps: An English dish of brown shrimp flavored with nutmeg, eaten with bread.
Indian Foods Beginning With P
There are traditional Indian foods starting with P and we have listed them in this list of Indian foods starting with P:
- Pakhala: Cooked rice washed or little fermented in water.
- Palak paneer: An Indian vegetarian dish of paneer in a thick paste made from pureed spinach and seasoned with ginger, garlic, gram masala, and other spices.
- Paneer tikka masala: An Indian dish of marinated paneer cheese served in a spiced gravy.
- Pani puri: An Indian snack made with flour, spiced water, onions, potatoes, and chickpeas.
- Panjiri: A dish of whole-wheat flour fried in sugar and ghee laced with dried fruits and herbal gums.
- Panjeeri: A mixture of butter, dried fruits, and whole wheat flour served as a dessert.
Mediterranean Foods Beginning With P
Mediterranean foods from the Mediterranean region have the letter P as their first letter. Here are different Mediterranean foods starting with P:
- Paiidakia: Grilled lamb chops with lemon, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pastitsio: A baked pasta dish with a filling of ground spiced minced meat and a Bechamel sauce topping.
- Pita: Yeast leavened round flatbreads baked from wheat flour.
- Potato Gulasch: An Austrian dish of vegetables like potatoes, onions, bell pepper and sausages seasoned with hot paprika made into a hot soupy stew.
- Prassorizo: Leeks and rice stew cooked in lemon juice and olive oil.
Oriental Foods Beginning With P
Oriental foods from the Asian continent have the letter P as their first letter. Here are different oriental foods starting with P:
- Peach sauce: A dessert sauce used a stopping for pancakes, grilled chicken and also used in peach preserves and chutney.
- Peking duck: A Chinese dish of dried Peking duck baked and served with sugar and garlic sauce as a dip.
- Popiah: A fresh spring roll made with popiah skin, bean sauce, finely grated or stir-fried turnip, jicama, bean sprouts, French beans, lettuce leaves, grated carrots, Chinese sausage slices, thinly fried tofu, chopped peanuts and shredded omelet.
- Pork blood soup: A Thai cuisine
- Put chai ko: A Chinese snack of pudding cake made with white or brown sugar, long-grain rice with a little wheat starch or cornstarch.
- Plum sauce: A light brown, sweet, and sour condiment used as a dip for deep-fried dishes such as noodles and roast duck.
We have made our list of foods starting with P as exhaustive as possible and included cuisines from different parts of the world. Let us know your thoughts on this list by leaving a comment down below.