Did someone ask you to list foods beginning with the letter S? The letter S is the 19th letter of the alphabet and a popular first letter for different foods, ingredients, vegetables, and cuisines.
In this article, we have compiled a list of foods starting with the letter S.
Table of Contents
Popular Foods Beginning With S
Many foods we consume are spelled with the letter S, and you might recognize some of them on this list of popular foods starting with S:
- Saffron Sage
Fruits Beginning with S
There are a few fruits with the letter S as their first letter, and we have listed some of them. These are some fruits starting with S:
- Salal berry: Berries from the Salal plant.
- Salak: A spiky looking fruit with a leathery exterior and nut shaped inside.
- Satsuma: A fruit similar to tangerine with loose skin.
African Foods Beginning with S
Some African foods start with S, and we have listed some of them in this list of African foods starting with S:
- Serobe: A tripe dish made from goat or sheep intestine served with bogobe, phaletshe and magwinya.
- Seswaa: A traditional meat dish of Botswana made of beef, goat or lamb meat, boiled with salt, shredded or pounded and served with pap or sorghum meal porridge.
- Sfenj: Donuts cooked in oil, then soaked with honey or sprinkled with sugar.
- Shahanful: A common North African dish made by cooking fava beans and crushing into a paste served with a bread roll.
- Shakshouka: A North African dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, chili peppers and onions spiced with cumin.
- Sharkchutney: Boiled, skinned shark, finely mashed and cooked with squeezed bilimbi juice and lime.
- Shiro: A stew made with powdered chickpeas or broad bean meal.
- Shishtaouk: Marinated cubes of chicken, skewered and grilled.
- Skilpadjies: A traditional South African dish of lamb’s liver wrapped in netvet (caul fat) and cooked with chopped onion, Worcestershire sauce wrapped into balls and grilled over charcoal with toothpicks holding them in place.
- Sosatie: Another traditional South African dish of meat, usually lamb or mutton cooked on skewers.
- Suya: A meat kebab popular in parts of West Africa.
Caribbean Foods Beginning with S
Some Caribbean foods start with S, and we have listed some of them in this list of Caribbean foods starting with S:
- Saltfish buljol: A spicy Trini dish made by soaking and boiling pieces of salted fish with blended tomatoes, hot peppers, sweet peppers, onions, and oil.
- Sweet potato pudding: A Sunday Jamaican dessert of sweet potatoes, flour, coconut milk, dried fruits and flavorings baked in an oven or coal pot.
- Souse: A Caribbean dish of pork cuts, beef or chicken feet boiled and doused in vinegar and lime-based combination of different spices, herbs, and sliced vegetables.
- Soursop ice cream: A Caribbean dessert of rice soursop, water, cornstarch, condensed milk, churned and frozen.
- Stamp and go: A Jamaican road snack of fritters made with salt cod although callaloo, Acker, and conch can also be used.
Continental Foods Beginning With S
Some Continental foods start with S, and we have listed some of them in this list of Continental foods starting with S:
- Samlorejo: A thick cold soup made with tomato, bread, olive oil and garlic garnished with diced Spanish Serranno ham and diced hard-boiled eggs.
- Scones: Small bread-like cakes often filled with raisins.
- Scouse: Lamb or beef stew with potatoes, carrots, and onions.
- Semifreddo: Semi-frozen dessert of egg yolks, sugar, and cream.
- Shepherd’s pie: A pie of minced meat with a crust or topping of mashed potato.
- Skirts and kidneys: An Irish stew made from pork and pork kidneys.
- Soda farl: A quick bread prepared with baking soda as a leavening agent instead of yeast.
- Sofrito: A well-cooked sauce of garlic, onions, and tomatoes, cooked in olive oil and used as a base for many dishes.
- Stargazy pie: Fish pie with sardines poking out of the piecrust.
- Steak pie: Beef and gravy in a pastry shell with ingredients such as ale, kidney, oysters, potato and root vegetables.
- Struffoli: Tiny fritters held together with honey and decorated with multi-colored sprinkles.
- Suet pudding: A steamed pudding made with flour and suet with meat or fruit mixed in.
- Syllabub: Cold dessert made with cream, alcohol, and sugar often with citrus flavoring.
Mexican Foods Beginning With S
Some Mexican foods start with S, and we have listed some of them in this list of Mexican foods starting with S:
- Salbutes: A puffed deep-fried tortilla topped with lettuce, sliced avocado, pulled chicken, tomato and pickled red onion.
- Salsa: A spicy tomato and chili sauce served as a dip for tortilla chips or served as a condiment alongside dishes like huevos rancheros or burritos.
- Sincronizada: A tortilla-based sandwich made by placing ham or refried beans, chorizo and cheese between two flour tortillas.
- Sopes: A traditional Mexican dish with a base made from a circle of fried masa, topped with refried beans, crumbled cheese, lettuce, onions, salsa, and sour cream.
Mediterranean Foods Beginning with S
Some Mediterranean foods start with S, and we have listed some of them in this list of Mediterranean foods starting with S:
- Sachertorte: An Austrian chocolate cake dessert.
- Safridia: Grilled Mackerel.
- Simit: Turkish pretzels.
- Souvlaki: Grilled meat or seafood on a skewer marinated in oil, salt, pepper, oregano, and lemon.
- Spargel: An Austrian summer dish made with asparagus and doused in bread crumbs served with butter and a sprinkle of lemon juice.
- Spetsofai: A dish made from country-style sausages, peppers, onions, and wine.
- Stifado: Game stew with pearl onions, red wine, and cinnamon.
Oriental Foods Beginning With S
Some Oriental foods start with S, and we have listed some of them in this list of Oriental foods starting with S:
- Sachima: A Chinese pastry made from fluffy strands of fried batter bound with thick sugar syrup.
- Sashimi: Raw, thinly sliced foods served with a dipping sauce of soy or wasabi and garnishes of fish or shellfish.
- Sea cucumber: A Chinese dish of fresh or dried sea cucumbers.
- Sekihan: A Japanese dish of white rice cooked with azuki beans.
- Shabu-shabu: Hot pot with thinly sliced beef, vegetables, and tofu cooked in thin stock and dipped in a soy or sesame based dip.
- Shaobing: A flaky baked or pan-seared dough pastry.
- Shimotsukare: A dish of vegetables, soybeans, abura-age and sake kasu.
- Shuizhu: A Chinese dish of boiled meat slices, chili pepper, and vegetable oil.
- Soki: Okinawa dish of pork stewed with bone.
- Song gao: A Shanghai snack made with rice flour, sugar, and water with azuki beans placed in the cake.
- Sukiyaki: Thinly sliced beef and vegetables cooked in a mix of soy sauce, dashi, sugar, and sake.
- Sunomono: A Japanese dish of vegetables such as cucumber or wakame and crab marinated in rice vinegar.
- Sushi: A Japanese dish of small balls or rolls of vinegar-flavored cold rice served with a garnish of vegetables, egg or raw seafood.
- Sweet potato soup: A Chinese dessert made with sweet potatoes, rock candy and ginger.
Here are different foods and cuisines all starting with S and we would like to hear your thoughts and other foods starting with S so be sure to leave a comment.