Did someone ask you to list foods that begin with the letter R? In this article, we have compiled a list of Foods Beginning with R.
Table of Contents
Popular Foods Beginning With R
There are different popular foods starting with R and here are some of them:
- Rack: The ribbed part of the forequarter of pork, veal, beef, or mutton.
- Radicchio: A variety of chicory with globose heads of red leaves.
- Ragout: A well-seasoned stew of meats and vegetables.
- Raita: An Indian side dish of yogurt with spices and chopped cucumbers.
- Ramekin: A cheese dish made with breadcrumbs and eggs.
- Rarebit: A cheese melted with beer or ale served over toast.
- Ratafee: A sweet liquor made from brandy or wine with peach or plum or apricots and almonds.
- Ratafia: A liqueur flavored with almonds, peach kernels, apricots, or cherries.
- Red cabbage: A cabbage plant with reddish-purple leaves.
- Redfish: A large edible fish.
- Relish: A spicy or savory condiment.
- Rhubarb: Sour, long pinkish leafstalks that are usually eaten cooked.
- Rib: A cut of meat, including one or more ribs.
- Rice Rickey: A fluid made from sweetened lime juice and soda water with liquor.
- Rissole: A minced cooked fish or meat coated in eggs and breadcrumbs then fried in deep fat.
- Rockfish: An edible fish with dark longitudinal stripes.
- Roe: Eggs from a female fish often used in cooking.
- Rollmops: Pickled herring fillet wrapped or rolled around a pickle.
- Romaine lettuce: A lettuce with long dark green leaves in an elongated head.
- Rose: An edible shrub of the genus Rosa.
- Rosefish: A large fish found in the northern Atlantic coast of Africa.
- Roulade: A dish of a slice of meat rolled around a filling.
- Roux: A mixture of flour and fat used as a basis for sauces.
- Rueben: A hot sandwich that has Swiss cheese, corned beef, and sauerkraut on rye bread.
- Rutabaga: A yellow root of the rutabaga plant used as food.
Fruits Beginning With R
Some fruits are also spelled with R as their first letter, and this list contains some of them:
- Rambutan: A red fruit of the Malayan tree.
- Red beets
- Redcurrant: Small berries used in jams and jellies.
- Ribier: Purple grape of California.
African Foods Beginning With R
Here are different traditional African meals all starting with R:
- Rolex: A popular Ugandan breakfast food that combines eggs and vegetables wrapped in chapati.
- Romanova: The national dish of Madagascar, which is a soup consisting of beef, pork, greens, onions, tomatoes, and garlic slow-cooked in a pot eaten with rice.
Caribbean Foods Beginning With R
Here are different Caribbean foods starting with R:
- Red peas soup: A thick, flavorful stew of meat such as beef or pork, starchy vegetables, and tender, chewy dumplings.
- Rum punch: A classic Caribbean cocktail made with rum, fruit juice, sugar, syrup, and water.
- Run down: A flavorful Jamaican fish stew cooked with coconut milk, onions garlic and tomatoes until thick.
Continental Foods Beginning with R
Here are different Continental foods starting with R:
- Rag pudding: Minced meat with onions in a suet pastry, boiled or steamed.
- Ragu alla bolognese: A meat-based sauce served with tagliatelle or other pasta.
- Ratatouille: A stew of vegetables that usually contains zucchini, tomatoes, onion, eggplant, peppers, and seasoning.
- Ravioli: A pasta comprising a filling enveloped in thin pasta dough served in broth or with a sauce.
- Red Leicester: An English cheese made with cow milk.
- Ricotta: An Italian whey cheese made from sheep, cow, goat, or Italian water buffalo milk whey.
- Rigatoni: A pasta with short ribbed pieces.
- Ristretto: A short shot of espresso coffee.
- Roast lamb: An English dish of roasted lamb served with mint sauce from finely chopped peppermint leaves, soaked in vinegar with a small amount of sugar.
- Roast pork with apple sauce: An English dish of roasted pork served with apple sauce made with peeled or unpeeled apples and maybe spiced or sweetened.
- Romesco: A sauce made from almonds/hazelnuts, roasted garlic, olive oil, and nyores small dried red peppers.
- Roquefort: A French blue cheese.
Indian Foods Beginning With R
Here are different Indian foods starting with R:
- Rajma: An Indian vegetarian dish of red kidney beans in thick gravy and spices served with rice
- Rama tori subji: Spicy dish made with any two vegetables i.e., potatoes and cabbage.
- Rongi: Black eye peas, onions, and tomatoes in a curry sauce.
Mediterranean Foods Beginning With R
Here are different Mediterranean foods starting with R:
- Retsina: A white wine with pine resin added.
- Rijstaffel: A dish with a wide variety of foods and sauces served with rice.
- Rizogalo: Greek rice pudding made from rice mixed with water in milk and other ingredients such as cinnamon and raisins.
- Ross il forn: A traditional Maltese dish of baked rice greased and baked as an oven casserole.
Mexican Foods Beginning With R
Here are different Mexican foods starting with R:
- Radicchio: A type of chicory with white beans and deep reddish-purple leaves eaten grilled with olive oil or served with pasta.
- Rajas con crema: A Mexican dish of sliced poblano pepper with cream served with tinga, mole, chicharron, and papas con chorizo.
- Retsina: A Greek wine flavored with resin.
- Romeritos: A Central Mexican dish of tender sprigs of seepweed boiled and served in mole sauce seasoned with blended shrimp jerky.
Oriental Foods Beginning With R
Here are different Oriental foods starting with R:
- Raindrop cake: A dessert made of water and agar that resembles a raindrop.
- Ramen: A Japanese dish of Chinese wheat noodles served in a meat or fish-based broth, often flavored with soy sauce or miso and uses toppings such as sliced pork, nori (dried seaweed), menma, and scallions.
- Ramune: A Carbonated soft drink sold in Japan.
- Rebasashi: A dish of calf liver served completely raw and dipped in sesame oil.
- Red bean cake: A Chinese cake with a sweet red bean paste filling.
- Red tortoise cake: A small, round, or oval-shaped Chinese pastry made with soft, sticky glutinous rice flour skin wrapped around a sweet filling in the center.
- Rice pudding: A dish made from rice mixed with water or milk and other ingredients such as cinnamon and raisins.
- Roast squab: A Chinese dish of roasted young pigeons (squab).
There are more foods spelled with R than you would have guessed and we have listed some of them in this list. Tell us what you think as well as any other foods starting with R by leaving a comment.