U is the 21st letter of the alphabet and the first letter of some foods and drinks we consume. In this article, we have listed foods beginning with U.
Table of Contents
Popular Foods Beginning With U
Many popular foods we consume start with the letter U, these foods are easily sourced and found in our diets. Here are some popular foods with U as their first letter:
- Uglu pie: A pie made from ugli fruit.
- U-No bar: A bar filled with almonds covered in a layer of chocolate.
- Unsalted nuts: Nuts without added salt.
- Unsweetened chocolate: A type of chocolate with no added sugar and tastes not as sweet as others.
- Unpasteurized cheese: A soft cheese made from raw milk.
- Urchins: Seafood urchins are often used as seafood in cooking.
African Foods Beginning With U
The letter U is a popular first letter of African dishes and foods from the African continent. Here are different African foods with U as their first letter:
- Ugba: An Igbo dish of spicy shredded oil bean made with ugba, palm oil, potash, ponmo, stockfish, crayfish and garden egg leaves.
- Ukpaka: Fermented African oil bean used in cooking among the Igbos of Southeastern Nigeria.
- Ukwa: An Igbo soup made with African breadfruit (ukwa), dry fish, stockfish, potash, palm oil, pepper, and okiri.
- Ugali: A dish of maize flour cooked to a porridge-like consistency and served with a sauce or stew of vegetables or meat,
- Umngqusho: A Bantu dish made of stamp mielies (samp) with sugar beans, butter, onions, potatoes, chilies, and lemons made to simmer.
- Uzizia: A soup from Southeastern Nigeria made with uziza leaves, iru, ahci, chili pepper, onion, Ghana pepper, palm oil, and garnished with meat or fish.
- Usban: A traditional kind of Tunisian sausage stuffed with a mix of rice, herbs, lamb, chopped liver, and heart served with a main dish of rice or couscous.
- Utazi: A Nigerian soup made with Ghazni leaves, pounded cocoyam, palm oil, crayfish, okporoko (stockfish), and meat or fish.
Drinks Beginning With U
Wonder what drinks have U as their first letter; this list contains different drinks with U as their first letter:
- U-Boot: A beer cocktail made by dropping a bomb shot of vodka into a glass of beer.
- Up to date: A sherry basked cocktail drink.
Fruits Beginning With U
Many fruits we consume have the letter U as their first letter. This list contains different fruits with U as their first letter:
- Ububese fruit: Also known as dwarf custard apple with a sweet taste and a red or yellow color.
- Ugli fruit: A Jamaican citrus fruit.
- Umbrella Fruit: A cone-shaped red fruit that comes from umbrella trees native to North America.
- Umbu fruit: A fruit that is reddish or light yellow from the Caatinga, a chaparral shrub.
- Urava fruit: The fruit from the mangrove apple tree.
- Usuma fruit: A small fruit that is orangish or reddish, also known as peanut butter fruit.
Indian Foods Beginning With U
There are some Indian foods with U as their first letter; we have listed different Indian foods with U as their first letter:
- Unni appam: A small round snack made from rice, jaggery, banana, roasted coconut pieces, roasted sesame seeds, ghee and cardamom powder fried in oil.
- Undhiyu: A curry of mixed vegetables like surti, papdi, ratalu, potatoes, carrot, green garlic, tuvar dana, and waal dana rich in oil and spices accompanies by puri or roti.
- Uttapam: Rice pancake/hopper with a topping of onions/tomatoes/coconut.
- Upmaa: An Indian vegetarian breakfast made from dry-roasted semolina or coarse rice flour cooked as a thick porridge.
- Urad dal: A spicy Indian black lentil soup made with black lentils, turmeric, paprika, tomatoes, garlic, ginger root, cilantro, dried fenugreek leaves, and vegetable oil.
Asian Foods Beginning With U
There are different Asian foods starting with U; this list contains different Asian foods with U as their first letter:
- Ui boov: A cake made with sheep fat.
- Utap: An oval-shaped puff pastry, especially in Cebu, which consisting of flour, shortening, coconut, and sugar.
- Ube: A bright purple yam from the Philippines similar to sweet potato with a slightly nutty vanilla taste.
- Ube cake: A traditional Filipino chiffon cake or sponge cake made with ube halaya(mashed purple yam).
- Ube halaya: A dessert made from boiled and mashed purple yam mixed with condensed milk, butter, and sometimes coconut milk placed in the fridge to cool and thicken.
- Udon: A popular Japanese wheat flour noodles served in a mildly flavored broth of kakejiry made with dashi, soy sauce, and mirin.
- Umeboshi: Salted Japanese preserved plums.
- Unagi: Freshwater eels.
- Uni: A Japanese recipe of sea urchins that could be cooked, fried, or eaten raw in sushi.
Continental Foods Beginning With U
Many continental foods start with U. This list contains different continental foods with U as their first letter:
- Ukha: A clear Russian soup and from various types of fish such as bream, wels catfish, northern pike, or even ruffe.
- Upside-down cake: A cake that is flipped upside down before serving usually made with fruit, particularly pineapple.
- Uszka: A Polish cuisine of small dumplings filled with flavorsome wild forest mushrooms or minced meat served with barszcz or melted butter with herbs sprinkled over.
- Utah scone: Deep-fried, puffy bread eaten with powdered sugar and honey and butter.
- Uunijuusto: A Finish dessert makes from unpasteurized colostrum milk, the first milk of a calved cow.
We have tried to make sure our list of food starting with U is as exhaustive as possible. We hope you enjoyed reading through our list of foods starting with U, so leave us a comment to let us know your thoughts.